Parents these days are under tremendous pressure to do “everything right” for their children, yet there are thousands of differing opinions on what and how to define “right”, especially when it comes to feeding your baby. The saying are endless, “Breast is best”, “EBF” (Exclusively Breast Fed), Organic only, but the opinion creators forget that babies do not follow a “one-size fits all” approach to eating, and what works for one child may not work for the other, even if they have the same parents. The most important thing to remember is to do what supports the health and well being of your baby which can mean breastfeeding, formula feeding or a combination of both. Selecting the right breast pump, formal and even bottle or pacifier, can be an equally unique experience and just because one system works for your friend does not mean it will work for you or your baby. Below are a few honest reviews and companies you can trust to help you navigate the world of finding your “right” feeding plan for your baby.
1. Tride & True: Similac
There is a good reason why Similac is known as one of the best formula producers. They use the quality ingredients and offer a variety of formula types ranging from traditional to organic, neonatal to, sensitive. Additionally, similac includes, Human Milk Oligosaccharide—HMO for short—an immune-system nourishing prebiotic similar to one found in breast milk.
- Similac Pro-Advance®
- Similac® Organic with A2 Milk.
- Similac® Advance® For Neuro Support
- Similac® Advance® S
- Similac® For Supplementation
- Similac® Organic
- Pure Bliss™ Infant Formula
- Similac® Advance® Lamehadrin Infant Formula.
Sensitive Tummies: Pro-Advanced formula
For the baby with the even extra-sensitive tummies, finding the right formula can take a lot of trial and error. Don’t give up, some parents find that this non-GMO Similac formula is the one that finally eliminates their babies’ painful bouts of gas and bloating. Safe for lactose-sensitive babies, the formula aims to boost your little one’s immune system. And just like the brand’s Pro-Advance formula, it also contains the 2’-FL HMO prebiotic found only in breast milk.
FORMULA TIP: Similac is popular for a good reason and is also trusted by many professionals, which means your hospital or doctor’s office might have samples. Also, join their mailing list for coupons and other savings tips.
2. Organic Formula: Earth’s Best
Organic ingredients are always important, and as a parent you hope it works best on your babes tummy. A great place to start for organic formula is Earth’s Best. Certified USDA organic and non-GMO, this formula is also created with the goal to be as similar as to breast milk as possible, containing quality protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids and no added corn syrup solids. Earth’s best also offers other options if your first attempt does not work.
Another organic brand to consider is, Happy Baby. Designed with your baby’s nutritional needs in mind, Happy Baby uses ingredients similar to those found in breast milk such as probiotics and key vitamins and minerals like calcium, vitamin D, DHA, zinc, choline and organic lactose. The lactose used is made from organically farmed cows and the formula is non-GMO and free of corn syrup.
3. Loved and Trusted: Enfamil
Researched and studied extensively to prove that it is as close to breast milk as possible, Enfamil is trusted leader in formula. It contains milk fat globule membrane (MFGM), a 3-layered membrane previously found only in breast milk that has been proven to support brain development. Enfamil also contains DHA, proteins and baby probiotics for immune support. The formula is known for being gentle on tiny baby tummies and helps reduce fussiness, colic and gas.
4. Baby and Wallet Friendly Buys: Target, Walmart & Costco
* www.target.com Target has created a formula that follows many of the same principles of the big brands. Designed to be easy on the tummy and your wallet Target’s non-GMO baby formula is a smart buy.
* www.walmart.com Walmart Parent’s Choice Gentle Infant Formula Milk-Based Powder with Iron receives great reviews from many happy parents.
* www.Costco.com Costco also receives many praises for baby loved and wallet friendly formula.
Breastfeeding has many benefits for baby, but can be challenging for some moms so having the right tool – your trusty breast pump is important. Making the decision on what you want and need can seem daunting, but it breaks down into two simple categories:
1. Type of pump
2. Brand of pump
Types of Pumps
* Hospital-grade breast pumps: These are considered the “mecca” of breast pumps, but are often hard to come by. These heavy-duty pumps offer a power-filled motor for extra quick production. They extract milk quickly and are generally fairly quiet, but they can be bulky and less portable than many of the commercial grade options. Hospital-grade pumps can sometimes be rented, but if you are looking to purchase one, it can be very costly, upwards of $1,000. Hence why they are not as common.
* Electric breast pumps: The most common and popular, the electric breast pump is efficient, portable and adjustable on speed. The down side, they do require electricity and some can be a bit noisy. Many come with a carrying case and are typically double pumps with the option to make it singular.
* Wearable electric breast pumps: Popular for the mom on the go, the hands-free portable pump is set up so you can wear them directly over your breast and often discreetly. While they are technically hands-free, it can be cumbersome to attempt to work or do other activities, while wearing the pump.
* Manual breast pumps: The pumping action is created when you squeeze the pump with your own hand. The lack of motor makes these quiet and very convenient. While they take longer to produce a full feedings worth of milk, they are very handy to have them around. They are great choice for working moms or those who love to travel and can’t always find a plug. The inexpensive costs makes it an attractive supplement to an electric breast pump.
Top producers of pumps:
*Best Overall Breast Pump: Spectra Baby
Spectra offers a variety of sizes and styles of electric pumps and has quickly become a mom favorite.
About Spectra: Spectra Baby USA is a team of passionate moms, dads, daughters and sons dedicated to helping nursing mothers and their babies get off to the best start possible. Our double electric breast pumps are designed to bring comfort and confidence to as many breastfeeding moms as possible. From our unique Natural Nursing Technology to our one-of-a-kind customer care, moms can count on Spectra to be right there when they need them most, every step of the way. We import and distribute top quality, high performing breast pumps and accessories that have built a community of active supporters. Women-owned, privately held and located in South Florida, our products are available through e-commerce providers, big box retailers, distributors of medical equipment, and lactation centers.
*Best Premium Breast Pump: Medela:
Medela is a one of the most trusted names in breast pumps and for good reason. They offer a wide variety of both electric and hand-pumps.
About Medla: Medela was founded in 1961 by Olle Larsson and is headquartered in Switzerland. Under the leadership of Olle Larsson’s son Michael, Medela has become a global player in breastfeeding products and medical vacuum technology thanks to continued research, innovation and the evaluation of customers’ needs. Medela has 18 subsidiaries in Europe, North America and Asia. Medela distributes its products in more than 100 countries, either directly or through independent partners. Medela has a staff of 1,740 worldwide, 440 of whom are located in Switzerland (as of 31 December 2016).
Medela’s breastfeeding products are based on more than 50 years of innovation and evidence-based research into the life-giving benefits of breast milk. We work collaboratively with renowned universities, hospitals, research institutions, and lactation experts around the world to develop advanced technologies for breastfeeding solutions. This dedication, combined with these insights and discoveries, has made Medela the #1 breast pump brand in America*, with innovative products designed for today’s parent.
*Most Comfortable Electric Breast Pump: Lansinoh:
Since our beginning 35 years ago in the kitchen of a new mom, Lansinoh has always been there for breastfeeding mothers and the healthcare providers who support them. Our founder’s own breastfeeding challenges inspired a passion to help other moms that is still the driving force behind Lansinoh today.
We’ve become a global leader in breastfeeding with world class research and development, serving mothers in more than 60 countries around the world. From our #1 recommended lanolin nipple cream, to launching the first Bluetooth connected breast pump, to hospital products that support the first few days of life, Lansinoh is on the cutting edge of innovation.
*Best Budget Breast Pump: Bellababy by BelleMa Co.,
Bellababy is a US based company, one of the pioneers in the research and development of electric breast pumps in 2003. Products being produced include all types of breast pumps and related mom and baby products. Bellababy primarily focus on breastfeeding by helping moms to successfully breastfeed their babies easily and safely.
Remember, a fed and thriving baby is the number one goal, no matter which path works best for you and your baby.